ECDL Image Editing
Due to the popularity of digital cameras, image editing programmes are now relevant to the needs of a largely increased number of people. ECDL Image Editing requires the candidate to understand the main concepts underlying digital images and to use an image editing application to enhance images, apply effects, and prepare an image for printing and publishing.
Developed by ECDL Foundation, ECDL Image Editing (formerly known as ECDL ImageMaker) is a certification programme which provides the opportunity to acquire the skills and knowledge to use a variety of programmes to manipulate images, and prepare an image for printing or for publishing on the web.
By explaining the basics and defining all terms in a straightforward way, candidates will understand the key concepts underpinning image editing, and will have the skills to produce high-quality formatted digital images. Recommended training time for ECDL Image Editing is 20-30 hours. The certification test is 45 minutes in length.
Benefits of ECDL Image Editing
- Provides a clear, easy-to-follow programme
- Explains the basic concepts of digital images in a straightforward way
- Can be applied to a range of image editing software from professional packages to 'freeware'
- Certifies best-practice in basic digital image editing
- Provides a solid grounding in working with digital images
- Developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts and practising computer professionals from all over the world
- Backed by the international reputation of ECDL Foundation
Who is ECDL Image Editing for?
ECDL Image Editing is an ideal certification for anyone who would like to acquire the essential skills for manipulating digital images and to prove these skills against an international standard. It is also an ideal certification for second-level students, small business owners, community groups and individuals.
ECDL Image Editing certifies that Candidates:
- Understand the main concepts of using digital images and understand graphic format options and colour concepts
- Open an existing image, save an image in different formats, and set image file options
- Use built-in options such as displaying toolbars or palettes to enhance productivity
- Capture and save an image, use various selection tools, and manipulate images
- Create and use layers, work with text, use effects and filters, and use drawing and painting tools
- Prepare images for printing or publishing
How does the ECDL Image Editing programme work?
When Candidates register to sit for an ECDL Image Editing test they purchase a Registration Number. The Registration Number fee incorporates the external marking by ECDL Malta and the issue of the ECDL Image Editing certificate.
Registration Numbers may be purchased from any accredited ECDL Image Editing Test Centre. Only an accredited Test Centre can carry out testing and issue Registration Numbers. Test Centres are approved and monitored by ECDL Malta.
- The ECDL Image Editing test is undertaken at the computer at an accredited ECDL Test Centre. Candidates are provided with a test paper that contains a set of questions. Candidates work through these questions on the computer.
- The test can be taken on computers having Adobe Photoshop or GIMP (open source software).
- The duration of the test is 45 minutes. No books or other help may be used during the test.
- The test is marked externally by ECDL Malta.
- The pass mark is set to be 75%.
- Candidates failing the ECDL Image Editing test are allowed to retake the test at the same Test Centre. Candidates are encouraged to attempt the sample test papers before taking the test.
- Candidates who are not satisfied with the assessment process of their ECDL Image Editing test are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the Test Centre. If they are not satisfied with the outcome of these discussions, they are encouraged to send an email/letter to ECDL Malta explaining their concerns. A fee will be charged for revision of tests.
ECDL Image Editing tests are based on Syllabus 2.0 in PDF* format.
*You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files on your system.
In order to download the Image Editing sample paper files to your PC, do the following:
- Select the sample paper link provided below
- In the dialogue box that appears, select "Open this file from its current location"
- In the dialogue box that appears, select the required path to extract files to.(e.g. C:/My Documents)
- This will extract all the files into the chosen folder above ( you may require a compressed folder extraction tool e.g. jZip)
- In this folder, open the files and follow instructions.
- ECDL Image Editing Partial Sample Test Papers for Photoshop
- ECDL Image Editing Partial Sample Test Papers for GIMP
The ECDL Image Editing certificate is awarded when a Candidate successfully passes the test. The certificate will NOT be issued immediately by the Test Centre. ECDL Malta will issue the certificate and pass this on to the Test Centre where the test was held. Candidates will collect the certificate from the Test Centre where they had sat for their test. The fee involved in issuing the ECDL Image Editing certificate is incorporated in the cost of the Registration Number.
How to get Started
Contact one of the locally accredited ECDL Image Editing Test Centres.